This Page

has been moved to new address

A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 8

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
MeloMomma: A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 8

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 8


The doctor had so much compassion and was really just as sweet as could be, but what he had to say was devastating.

Since I was 27 weeks pregnant and my water has broken, I stood a 99% chance of delivering my child within the next 48 hours. Because of how early he will be born he stands a great chance for several complications including, cerebral palsy, under developed lungs, and he probably will not be able to walk. There were so many possible things that could be wrong and the thought of seeing my fragile little baby hooked up to monitors with tubes up his nose broke my heart. Furthermore, I was going to give birth and go home empty handed. He would be in the NICU for up to 3 months. This was too much for me to handle. My brain could not process it all and work through it. The only thing that seemed fitting at the time was to cry!

I decided to let my mom and dad come back into my hospital room. They had been waiting in the hall per my request. I was not up for talking at this point. I was busy processing all that had been told to me.

I closed my eyes and just envisioned all the possibilities and tried to envision my life long term and how I was going to take care of my son.

I made a decision. There is a 1% chance that my bag of water would seal back up and my son could stay stay in the womb and develop longer. I will be this 1%. I am a very strong willed person and have been known to get what I want. Sounds silly, but if you say I can't I will! I don't care if he stays in a month or 4 months. Each day I do not deliver is a blessing.

I shared with my family, the nurses, and the doctors what I was going to do. The nurses and doctors pretty much laughed and said good luck with that. This only gave me more determination.

I stayed on bed rest and did everything I could to keep from giving birth, including laying only on my back. I was pretty dang uncomfortable as a week went by. The doctors and nurses were very surprised I was still in the hospital and even more impressed I was still pregnant.

It was a really long week and it almost felt like I was in jail. The food was nasty, I was uncomfortable, and I had no outside light. All my discomfort was pushed aside as I remembered the little man growing in my belly!

I saw those babies in the NICU and I knew I was going to do all that is within my power to keep my son out of there. My mom shared my story with all of her friends and I am very lucky to have been in their prayers as well. Between my strong will and the power of prayer I was sent home after staying a week in the hospital. Thank GOD!

I was told to remain on strict bed rest! I had to take a leave of absence from work,I did not care what I had to do. My only job now was to be an incubator for my baby and keep him healthy.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At February 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...this story is amazing! I just saw your blog on MBC and am hooked. How long did you stay pregnant? To say I'm dying of curiosity is a serious understatement!

~Carla @ Jansen Family Adventures

 
At February 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Carla, I am so thrilled you found me and like my story. I had to leave a lot out or it would have turned into a book! :) Stay tuned and you will soon find out how long I stayed pregnant. Thanks so much for following my story! I means a LOT to me!

 
At February 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM , Blogger Angela R. said...

Way to go on sharing this story, Melissa! I can't wait to read the next part, too. ;)

 
At February 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you Angela! It really has been fun! A bit emotional to write it, but a blast to share!

 
At February 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL LADY & MOTHER!!

 
At February 16, 2011 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Dacia said...

Wow I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for you.

Visiting from Queen of Swag & now following :)

http://acreativemomma.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/creativemommas

 
At February 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Blogger StuffSmart said...

Wow, Melissa your story gave me chills. I went into labor at almost 27wks. Thanks to many answered prayers everything turned out well.

* I found you through The king of Swag's blog Hop. I hope you will follow me too.
http://stuffsmart.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/littleremedies/posts/10150185944654447?ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment#!/pages/StuffSmart/124034767630466?sk=wall

 
At February 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

@StuffSmart, Thank you! I am glad you can relate a little. Scary stuff, huh? I followed back. Thanks for the link!

 
At February 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

thanks so much for participating in my Wednesday Blog hop! Following you now on gfc!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home