This Page

has been moved to new address

A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 5

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
MeloMomma: A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 5

Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Baby Story; Before MeloMomma Was Really MeloMomma Part 5

Two days later, I am back at the doc. Thankfully this time it's not the high risk doctor. Instead, I am here to do a glucose screening to test for gestational diabetes. The requirement was to drink an overly sweet orange flavored drink. It tastes awful, but to top it off I could not eat for three hours. I think asking a pregnant woman not to eat is just plain cruel!

Anyhow, I am sitting there waiting when in walks my nurse. Time to get poked and fill up three vials. I hate this part, but needles go hand in hand with pregnancy.

The test came back almost immediately and they actually said I have gestational diabetes. I was completely shocked! I am 3 months prego, weighing in at 120 lbs and I do not eat sugary foods. I demanded a re test.

I had no idea the re test would be a 12 hour glucose screening and I did not know it would take place tomorrow.

I had to drink three of these nasty sugar drinks and not eat for 12 hours. I had to put in a full day at work. I had a pretty demanding job and our team often worked through lunch. Of course that would be the case today and of course they would decide to order in pizza. It must just be my luck that not only did they order pizza but my office is right next to the kitchen and I can not even take one bite. This was torture! I sat there and sniffed pizza all day long! My co workers assured me they forgot about my test, but... That did not solve the problem and I was pretty snappy by the end of the day.

Off work and now sitting at the hospital. I was going to be here for three hours. They needed to draw my blood every hour for three hours. I had to stay at the hospital the entire time because I had to have my blood drawn at the top of the hour and could not even be a second late. Doesn't that sound like fun? I was lucky my husband joined me for 2 hours, but even he was restless.

I watched the people coming and going and badly wanted to be one of those people. I was in my last hour there. I had read all the magazines there, wandered the whole hospital, and my arms are bruised from needles. I wanted to cry I was so hungry.

I called my mom. I was so hungry that was all I could talk about. I had wondered how this lack of food was affecting my baby, but I had to trust in the doctore. As our conversation was coming to an end I hear the nurse call my name. One last poke and I am home free.

I won't know for a few days what the results of the test are, but what I was sure of is that even tho my husband ditched out on me for that last hour, he ordered pizza and it would be there waiting for me when I got home!



At February 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM , Blogger jackie said...

what no Chinese food?!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home